Yesterday Chad posted on Facebook to say that our car’s air conditioner had finally been fixed. I replied by posting the following video:
Mennonite Sing 606
Now I realize the above video might be a bit intense to celebrate a simple AC fix. But when the AC has been broken for 3 weeks and in that time you had to travel 8 hours both ways for vacation, the video above is the only appropriate response.
So today I decided to do my subscribers a solid and give you all a list of *hacks to make a long car trip more comfortable if your AC blows (or doesn’t), and no one can fix it because the problem is super complicated which ultimately makes sense because if it was an easy fix, it would not be your car. 😛
1. Drive at night and arrive at your destination early in the morning. This way you can drive with all the windows down and things are a bit cooler. Yes, the downside is that you may get bugs and dirt in your teeth, hair, and ears, but at least you’ll ingest more protein, right?
2. Pack plenty of water and Gatorade so you’ll stay hydrated.
3. Wear as few clothes as is legally necessary. If you are really desperate, strip down completely but make sure to only take country roads and drive through areas that are not well-lit (combining this tip with the one above would help even more). In this scenario, you won’t be able to take pits stops and pee or drive through for food, so plan accordingly.
4. If you have long hair, put it up in a bun or alternatively, cut your hair before you begin your road trip. Or better yet, shave your head. This will help keep your head cool and will fulfill your mother’s lifelong dream of you getting a haircut.
When Chad and I arrived at our cabin after driving for 8 hours, the heat had gotten to us. Adding insult to injury, our cabin was without AC, so we sat in our room under two strong, blowing fans while we aired out our various creases.
Honestly, if you want to make great time, driving a car with no AC is the way to go because you will want to stop the car as little as you possibly can. And pray there are no accidents along the way. When Chad and I were 2 miles away from our cabin, we got stuck in pre-parade traffic and had to slow down to 1 mile an hour and I’m not gonna lie, I really thought we’d die. Which really sucked because we had been needing this vacation for the last 3 summers.
5. Fill a small wading pool with water and set it in a meat locker or industrial freezer to freeze. Then place it into the back seat of the car for the passenger to sit in and cool off while you drive down the road. Don’t worry, I didn’t forget the driver. As the ice melts, the passenger in the back will pelt the driver with ice in a refreshing display of sharing.
*Some of these hacks are embellished or completely ridiculous and Lulabelle.net is not responsible for injury, damages or legal fees if any of these hacks are tried as written. 😉